ANZAC day- a reminder that I promised to make the wife some anzac biscuits a couple of weeks ago, then found I hadn’t got the ingredients. I finally got my golden syrup, so off to the kitchen. No coconut. Bum.
I’ll share the recipe while we wait:
- 2 level tablespoons golden syrup
- 5 oz butter/marg
- 4 oz sugar
- 3 0z porridge oats
- 2 0z dessicated [or desecrated if you prefer] coconut
- 5 oz plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarb
- 1tbsp hot water
- melt sugar, marg and syrup in a saucepan, remove from heat, stir in oats, coconut and flour.
- Dissolve bicarb in hot water [I use an eggcup] and beat into mixture. Cool. [As in, let it cool, not, ‘wow man, that’s cool’]
- Roll into balls about the size of walnut. Makes 2 dozen or so.
- Place on baking tray, spread well apart, and bake for 20 minutes, GM3 [325F, 170C]
- Cool on trays [not completely, they may stick] and transfer to cooling tray to finish.
You can make extra and freeze them before baking. I tend to make gazillions, and bag them up AFTER open freezing them so they don’t clump together. The theory is, you can then bake just a few at a time whenever you neeeeeed a couple of biccies.
Reality? Three batches can vanish in three days. It’s the wife, honest.
Update: biccies baked, half have gone already, but there’s a whole heap more in the freezer. YUM!