The coat is almost complete now, I just need to sew the sleeve lining in place, and deal with buttons and buttonholes [meh]
It all went together pretty straightforwardly, although after my earlier praise of the interesting pocket insertion, I managed to make a booboo: bearing in mind that I’d cut an 18 upper body, grading out to 22 below the bust, purely for the swish of it…I forgot to make size 22 pocket markings and made size 18 markings. Doh. this meant that after trimming and turning and folding beyond redemption, the side seams finished 3/4″ shy of the pocket flap edge. Big mess. So I had to regrade back to 18 at the side seams, re stitch and trim blah blah. The only other fix would have been to re cut the lower side front and pocket pieces. Too much bother for this Fairy, codge job instead.
It doesn’t affect anything but the swoosh of the jacket skirt so I’m not fussed.
Everything else was fine, the lining is rather cheapo satin, so wanted to fray, stretch and play silly buggers. I beat it into submission, and then beat and fought some more to get it all bagged out and understitched.
Of course when I slipped it on, the lining tried to flop down everywhere, which I suspected would be an issue as there are no facings.
I just caught the lining to the main fabric in a few places, smooshing the lining up a bit. It has made a loose ease pleat all by itself, so I’m leaving well alone.
Finally I can do the trimming, which will probably be a sitting in front of the telly job, fairly chilled.
The vendor is returning the plain black fabric and has reimbursed me a fiver for the inconvenience. I’ll take that!..mind you, it still hasn’t arrived.
Back to the bodice:
I pinned in a zip, with everything inside out, got into it. and asked the wife to pin in the excess as evenly as poss, leaving me to smooth it out afterwards. Things got rather heated, as she decided it DIDN’T need taking in, and wouldn’t just do as directed. Tempers frayed, and I decided to do it myself. So I’m scratched all over my back from twisting and turning in a fairly tightly pinned bodice. Fun.
Anyway, it all got stitched, the corrected seams unpicked, blah blah, Trimmed, pressed and tidy. I used the corrected lines to mark the pattern pieces, and the lining, and got all that put together.
I CAN’T FIND MY RUDDY BONING!
Update. I FOUND IT! Of course, I had to move absolutely EVERYTHING in the sewing room/mess. Still, another job may yet be completed, and I can plan to sit down this evening doing all the hand finishing stuff while watching a good fillum.
[We tried to watch ‘Mrs Brown d’Movie’ last night but gave up in disgust. What a load of ***te]