Wife’s trousers are done and look super fab with the New Rock boots and top hat. No pics til the shirt is done though, far too indecorous! Here’s a teaser, with the rapidly progressing power pack for the blunderbuss and a load of belts I found in a bag on top of the wardrobe. Hoarder? Moi?
The trousers took about half an hour, including cutting out, I love that pattern, and it fits her beautifully. I even matched the pattern [as well as can be expected…]
I found that although the Gunne Saxe pattern instruction sheets are worm-eaten, the pattern pieces are yellowed but perfectly fine. I compared the sleeve arm scye with the one that goes in the KwikSew shirt, and extended the curve out just about half an inch each side to suit. 1″ shortened to deal with wifey’s teeny stumpy arms, and nearly good to go. I decided to put in back lacing loops as on my jacket, as she’s very taken with them. Don’t they look sweet?
The front panels are cut double as the fabric is very sheer, and I’ve basted them all together, as well as the silk organza for cuffs, collar and front band.
The original pattern has the cuffs just a single layer, very unusual, and they are quite heavily trimmed in ribbon and lace, and edged with same. I’m making them in a more conventional way, and will keep the button loop fastenings. I think I still have some little pearly buttons in stash…
I’m missing off the collar, and have made the collar band 3/4″ or so deeper, to give that late Victorian feel.
When I made my daughter’s wedding dress in 2012, I bought rather expensive lace, and cut all the motifs out so that they could be arranged in a way that wouldn’t swamp my teeny daughter. There’s quite a lot left, all in little packs, sorted by size and shape of motif. Look at this for a trial run:
The blouse will go together quite quickly now, and then I get to sew these pretties onto the front panels and cuffs, so that it will look embroidered. Back soon!