I have these flurries of activity, as you know. And I must admit, by and large, all goes pretty well- but we all have THOSE DAYS don’t we?
As is my wont, I blogged yesterday about all the plans, and then steamed ahead. Everything cut out bar the wife’s waistcoat, threads colour matched in advance and everything. I have a tendency to think about tactics for tricky tasks without even realising i’m doing it- while playing pointless mind numbing games, or re-reading a favourite book, watching TV or even dozing. And then, all of a sudden, I go all ‘Eureka-ish’ and know exactly what to do.
Eg the hat covering exercise. I had a ponder, googled a bit, found nothing of use, and decided to fudge on, but I’m not too happy about the way all those pleats end in a vortex on top- and I couldn’t think of a way to do a neat finish.
This morning it came to me [wait and see you impatient lot] so, in my befuddled head, it feels finished, and I’ve pushed it to the back of the table. I got the pattern pieces for wifey’s wrap shirt, folded them a bit to make the asymmetric waistcoat effect, and bashed out a quick toile.
I did complete one thing yesterday- a fiddly faddly removal of some frilly trim from the front of MIL’s shirt. The trim has a raw edge, the type that’s meant to fray gently in wear…she bought it then decided she wanted me to hem them. Cough. Each piece is less than an inch wide, and gathered. I think not sweetie.
Removal seemed the safer course of action, other than getting stroppy on the lines of ‘I MAKE THINGS I DON’T MEND OR ALTER THEM!’
I’d obviously been pondering what to do to make that bustier more wearable/more flattering. I settled on a chemise, googled a bit [and found some wonderfully distracting stuff], downloaded a free pattern, hauled out a gorgeous piece of ‘nude’ silk dupion, and got to work.
The silk was a gift from the lovely Glenda, brewery owner, sewing pal, and lovely bridesmaid of mine. I love silk dupion, but this colour was a little problematic, as it washed out my skin tone…and surprisingly did the same to the wife. So it sat.
The shift went together well, I made it a teensy bit larger by just placing the main patter piece an inch or so from the fold. I had enough fabric to cut on the bias, so I did.
I made flat felled seams for a tidy finish, and slipped it on to adjust the gathers. Not bad, but the sleeves, while not TOO tight, could do with being a mite wider…and the neckline, even with the gathers pulled in good and tight, sits too wide and wants to fall off my shoulder. Ponder ponder…
Right, the neckline will be fixed by making a wide folded neckband. I MAY cut this on the bias, in which case I’ll also put some elastic through to stop it from stretching back out again. I don’t want the wench/Barbara Windsor look here you understand… Lace stash raided, and neckline can be trimmed nicely with more of the bits from daughter’s wedding dress.
I found a short piece of broderie insert, which JUST HAPPENED to be exactly the right length to put it into the sleeves, after cutting them along the ‘shoulder’ fold. Ziggy zaggy, and sleeves duly made about 3/4 wider. Perfect.
The very frayable dupion immediately pulled away. leaving miles of fluff everywhere.
I resewed with a wider, shorter zig zag, almost satin stitch I suppose, then decided that belts go well with braces, and added a strip of ‘nude’ powernet behind the insert as reinforcement. Perfect.
I’d put one in upside down.
Have you tried unpicking very secure, very ziggy zig-zag stitched trim from a very frayable silk? Not recommended. Then I put it back, the right way up.
Pushed to back of table.
My black skirt! I fiddled about, pinned and basted the yoke and waistband, and was about to do the same for the hem when I remembered that I need to get the chain ‘pull cords’ into place before stitching across top and bottom.
Chain didn’t fit. No ribbon, tape, or anything wide enough to make a new casing. Got rather peeved at this point, then the wife reminded me of some very beautiful decorative chain which we used [2 moves ago] as tie backs on some floor length silk curtains. I found them, wifey joined them together for me, and I tried to get them through the casing.
Fortunately, there was some ribbon close at hand that WS wide enough to male new casings. The ribbon is on, the chain is in, and a quick try-on indicates that it WILL work, but needs a stabilising button or two to wind the chain round when the skirt is pulled up at the front for walking. I found some that match the chain colour very nicely.
I’m trying not to push it to the back of the table, but I’m annoyed now, nothing is going straightforwardly today. I can just see myself sticking the iron right through the finished skirt or some such…
Dammit, now I’ll need to get on with her waistcoat. Bum.