It became clear that a few alterations to the black skirt would be needed on its first outing: the hastily pinned ‘bustling’ at the back, was obviously only a temporary measure, time just got away from me [appropriate for a time traveller…]
The large quilting safety pins that the wife used to secure it were woefully inadequate, and bent and sagged and fell out all day. It need proper bustle points, but I can’t seem to get the wife to stay still long enough to help me out! We’re off out again tomorrow, for a steam punk-nik at the local park, so it will very likely get pinned again. The buttons I sewed to the front to act as anchors for the chain gathering device didn’t work, so I’m replacing them with a hook. Or something.
Meanwhile, although I am planning to make a proper corset [been years since I last made one] I remembered that I have a little underbust corset tucked away since one Halloween many years ago. With the addition of the planned white blouse, a new outfit looms.
Blouse pondering ensued.
Having dug this worm-eaten old Gunne Saxe one out to make the sleeves for wifey’s shirt, I decided to do a Franken-pattern of the neckline of that and the body of the Kwiksew 2849 shirt that works so well for the wife. I added a bit in on the sides and CF, but they pinned together very well. After the faff with the forearm tightness on wifey, I slipped her shirt on to check, and finding it as tight on me, I spread the sleeve out, adding in an inch or so to the width. It’ll gather in nicely, no other changes needed.
I stared at my various white shirt fabrics, and of course, went for the most glamorous recent acquisition- shimmer linen. IT’S GORGEOUS I TELL YEZ!
Feeling slightly better today on my third cold-ridden day off work, I set to work. It’s coming together very nicely- french seams throughout body and sleeves, neck facing assembled and pinned on, and cuffs ready to attach.
I’ve just tried it on to judge the necessary width of the button bands, and they’re now cut out too.
I had some issues with skipped stitches at first, despite a fresh needle, but a second one did the trick. The other must have been faulty I suppose… I was nervous about pressing- the linen side is fine, but the shimmer-ised pearly front scared me. A pressing cloth solved all ills though, and as long as I’m careful [pressed with two right sides together, they sort of temporarily stick] all is good. It crumples of course, it’s linen. I don’t care!
I suspect the sleeve heads may need a little support, in which case I’ll use some folded silk organza to poof it up.
I probably won’t put any trimming on it, the fabric is spectacular enough, but you never know. It’s meant to have eyelet trim sandwiched between bodice and facing, but I don’t have any. On the other hand I DO have some of the fabulosity that’s left from DD’s wedding dress…all silver and white and lovely. Watch this space.
One thought on “A New Head of Steam #1”
Oh that is fab. Are you going to make a corset pattern yourself or do you have one in mind. I have the 1890’s Truly Victorian pattern that I bought try out. I have heard that it is great and was going to use it to tutor with. The Laughing Moon one is very good. Really looking forward to watching it come along. I love making corsets. Xx
Comments are closed.