Progress and cock-ups…
After all that fiasco in the week, I posted one of the pics of me in the finally-fastened corset on one of the Facebook steampunk costume-making pages, to see what advice was forthcoming. Not a lot, apart from the statement that it should not flare out at the hips and bust, but should fit as closely as a singlet.
I know that those bust cups are not looking like they come anywhere near fitting me at the moment, but I’m still [pretty] sure that the boning and upper drawstring will do most of the work. I’m also going to be doing that padding of course:
Now I’ve been browsing around, drifting from blog to blog as you do, and on the way I found a BRILLIANT piece on padding corsets to get the authentically outrageous shape of the era. Then of course, I didn’t bookmark it so i couldn’t find it again. Two days of googling and random blog drift, and I found it again. Cop a load of this article from Cathy Hay
The FABULOUS image that’s inspiring me is this one
Now she’s a lot slimmer than me, but that amazing waist-to-hip ratio is mostly padding, she’s only reduced her natural waist by 2″ which is absolutely average, comfortable corset compression.
The padding will be attached under the corset, and should be easily removable for laundering, or to add/reduce padding at will.
Now look at this beauty from Wearing History.
I’ve seen similar all over t’internet, but here she shows how to make it AND the effect it gives. Fab huh?
I may make a proper ‘bust improver’, I may just cobble up my own version to round out those bust gores, but I’m very keen to get to that stage of the proceedings.
Now back to the sewing: I looked closely at the busk, and decided that my less than perfect topstitching wasn’t helping matters. I ripped it all out, and was able to smoosh the busk pieces a tad closer to the front edge, and also make the casings tighter. Good.
Then I sewed the lining pieces together, they all went together really quickly, and pressed out like a dream. So of course, when I attached lining to corset, and started basting the seam lines together, I found I’d sewn the hip gores between the wrong two pieces. Bugger and Bum!
Also of course, I’d already clipped the ruddy seams. So that took longer than it should have.
All turned and pressed, then I decided that I really should backtrack and catch-stitch ALL the seam allowances down so that nothing buckles up inside the boning channels. Sigh. Now my finger is bleeding again.
This ruddy thing had better look AMAZING when I’m done!