Back to work tomorrow, and then of course, the Xmas rushabout. I’ve been dragging my heels for a few days, and not getting myself into productive mode as much as I’d hoped. BUT. I did get the spare room and dining room back into something resembling order, purging vast quantities of unwanted or unusable fabrics, books and accumulated teaching tat. For the time being, I can find things again!
I’ve also received a couple of fabric parcels, meaning I have everything I need to complete pack #2. She says. I now have these original fabrics…
It all goes together VERY nicely, even if the photos don’t quite do it justice.
Anyway, after all the tidying, I finally sat down and cut out the pattern pieces for the detachable train [which will be in the shot taffeta with cadbury lining] and also taped together the PDF for the riding breeches. I don’t mind PDF taping, but this wasted a LOT of paper, which irked me. At least a dozen sheets too many…grrrr
There are 2 lengths marked on the train pattern, ‘long’ and ‘medium’, about 8″ difference. No finished lengths are given that I could see, and I want the drama without too much drag for practicality. So I had to sort of pleat/scrunch the fabric to roughly the form it might be expected to take, and work out how much more to fold out. Roughly another 8″ I think. I’ll not be making a toile however, as there is very little point. If it’s too long, I’ll be able to re shape the hem edge to deal with it. Should be a fairly easy make: although the seams are pretty long, it’s very simple, and all the drama comes from rather clever pleating.
The pieces for the breeches look vast, which is fine, as I don’t mind them being almost comic in effect- they will be for my ‘wild card’ entry.
Then I decided to tackle that toile for the evening bodice. Dismantled easily enough, then I adjusted the sleeve band pattern, as that was nice and easy! I trimmed the pattern piece down a size, and did some approximate measuring to see how much to add for the FBA. It’s not as simple as you might think as the pattern pieces don’t split neatly off into ‘front’ and ‘back’, because of those side panels. I decided to bit the bullet and add in 2″.
Now this ends up adding in a VERY large amount below the bust, as you can probably see here., after I rotated the FBA-produced side dart back into the waist. I don’t think I can suppress all that with the existing 2 vertical darts, so I’ll try 3, roughly marked out here.
I also cut the neckline slightly higher, it can always be trimmed off agian if needed! Faff time ahead. I really hate drafting and alterations to patterns, so that’s enough for today.
I’ll stitch this all back together, get corsetted, and have another go as soon as I have the energy…hopefully not too far ahead!
Meanwhile, pancakes, just because they’re nicer than pattern drafting.