Having spent many hours fiddling about with the parasol, and then fiddling about getting the skirt draperies to go together properly, and then another hour or so cutting out carefully measure pinked strips to make the trim for the skirt draperies…I wanted to get on with something straightforward. And so, the riding breeches toile came back … Continue reading SWA(SP)P 2016-Wildcards-#5: Riding breeches
An interlude to ask some questions before I put this to one side for completion later in the year: I purchased this little charmer at a vintage fair in the summer, shortly after succumbing to the brown silk one on ebay. This was much more expensive [although still a bargain] and I fell in love … Continue reading Para-gon: another project in the making
And it’s done! Last night I faffed about joining strips of pinked bias fabric together, then gathering 16 tiny sections and pinning it all to the edge of the lace. My wife was very complimentary, and I was chuffed…but then I started to flap about how to actually sew it down. Those gathers needed to … Continue reading Para-Medic #5- Brolly Good Show!
So close, but too tired to finish it off after all. I got the lace arranged and attached, using fairly loose running stitches on the right side, and moderately small stitches inside. Not as neat as it should be, but I’m losing the will to live. The pinked and gathered strip makes a decent enough … Continue reading Para-medic #4, the home stretch?
BUT, the first deadlines are approaching- will I make it? January 2016, Historical Sewing Monthly, ‘Procrastination’. My life’s story… I did the adjustments to the top of the parasol cover, and it worked very nicely. I did some slow steady hand sewing the other day, and got the parasol edge trimming attached. Quite nice too, though … Continue reading Hurrah for payday!
I asked the lovely folk of the Historical Sewing Monthly for some advice. I also canvassed the madly creative bunch at Sewing for Steampunk and Cosplay. Sometimes you just can’t see the wood for the trees can you? The blindingly brilliant advice I received, which honestly hadn’t occurred to me, was to take the cover … Continue reading Para-medic #3: if at first…
For the Historical Sewing Monthly’s January challenge [‘procrastination’] I want to finish my UFO parasol. I started this project in October, since when it has been propped on an upside-down chair in the corner of the room [don’t ask] glaring at me balefully. I’ve re-ironed the fabric remnants for it several times…and then stopped. Yesterday, … Continue reading Para-medic #2, stitched up
And it’s done! Quite an easy little item, so I took the pains to do some hand finishing- the understitching, attaching that lovely beaded trim, and finishing the sleeve linings. It feels very Spanish, and although it isn’t in the slightest bit ‘historically accurate’ I’m chuffed with its Gothic/Victorian feel. I decided to add another … Continue reading SWA(SP)P 2016-Wildcards-#4: Bolero jacket completed
McCall’s 4450, view C, modified front. I made quite good progress on this today, if not quite as much as I’d hoped. I basted the underlining onto the wool pieces [I used the toile for underlining where feasible, waste not want not and all that]. I machined the shoulder and side seams, and herringbone stitched … Continue reading SWA(SP)P 2016-Wildcards-#3: Bolero jacket
Some progress, and a little time to play this morning. Unfortunately, I’ve had to clear all my sewing area away as my parents are coming for an anniversary meal with us this evening. Flipping family, interrupting my sewing! So today’s progress is minimal, but not too shabby. I have played a little more with pinked … Continue reading SWA(SP)P 2016-Pack 2-#10: Keeping in trim