I’m planning to do some more work on my outfit later, when I’m suitably harnessed. For now, some work on a possible Wildcard pack addition, the evening bolero. I’ve plumped for using a pattern from stash, McCall’s 4450. I wasn’t sure about the sleeve options, but I’ve knocked it up using the view C version, which is 2-piece, and has a rather glam slit along the top seam. Unfortunately, I ran into a hitch as the front piece was missing, and I wasn’t paying attention and cut out the pattern piece for the view B sleeve flounce. DON’T LAUGH! It really is the same shape as a front.
Anyway. I appealed on FB for anyone who might have this pattern, willing to help me with a scanned pattern piece, but then got impatient and rough cut it from the flounce piece. Yeah well. I cut another front by eye, allowing it to come further along the side of my bust, and will also make it all a bit longer at the side seam. I’m quite happy with that bit of work.
This evening cover-up is not historically accurate [or HA as those in the know call it lol], a cape would be more suitable. I don’t have much fabric however, and have been quite taken by some of the Goth takes on these little bolero jackets. See some on my Pinterest board here.
Similar sleeves at least…
It will be in dark purple wool [I hope, if I have enough], trimmed in ‘jet’ bead fringing, and lined in the lilac taffeta…which will flash beautifully at the sleeve slit. Yum!
Then I got the missus to get a bra on to have her little bodice fitted…here’s the inspiration pic, in case you’ve forgotten.
Again, FB helped me to find a pattern to start me off, aiming at something close to the neckline. I found a pattern which had the right feel, ordered it from eBay…and it arrived in under 20 hours! WOW!
It’s this wedding dress pattern, McCall’s 4713: the neckline is wider, but more suitable to wear alone or with a shirt underneath.
Then I found that it doesn’t have the princess seams I wanted, just waist darts.
Poo! So I had to do some ‘drafting’ after all. Here are the princess seams I introduced.
I shortened the body by 1″ as wifey is a little dot. Here she is, pinned in place. Pretty good! I tucked away half an inch at the back neckline, and pinched it in along the back seams as she wants it fitted snugly. The curved seams and half the neck edge are piped, using some hairy string from the kitchen for now.
The neckline is subtly sexy, with just the beginning of a little cleavage. She wants it longer, so I’ll flare it out at the hem just a bit for the first version. The front will be stiffened, so that it stays nice and smooth. I may even be sneaky and put some cable tie boning in, to see if she objects.
The fastening will be these little delights, which we spotted on a steampunk corset at a fair, the fabric for version #1 will be the mock suede she’s had languishing in stash for several years:
In other news, I ordered some Fiskars pinking shears from Amazon, and they arrived today. THEY CUT FABRIC WITHOUT EATING IT! This is a phenomenon I have never witnessed with pinking shears. Never. In. My. Life. I can’t wait to start cutting and folding several miles of trim.
And finally, the gorgeous Italian wool for my riding breeches arrived, and feels so delicious I want to start straight away. It has the most beautiful selvage, which I must trim off and use as a feature somewhere.