BUT, the first deadlines are approaching- will I make it? January 2016, Historical Sewing Monthly, ‘Procrastination’. My life’s story…
I did the adjustments to the top of the parasol cover, and it worked very nicely.
I did some slow steady hand sewing the other day, and got the parasol edge trimming attached. Quite nice too, though I say it myself. I used a sort of prick stitch, so there’s not much showing on the outside, and there’s just a moderately neat running stitch on the inside. I tried not to pull the thread tight in case it affects the fit on the frame once under tension. I didn’t bother with proper measuring of course, apart from folding the edging strip to mark it into sixteenths, all the pleats are gauged by eye. Which is pretty obvious tbh, some are..er..erratic. Never mind, anyone coming near my parasol with a ruler will be summarily biffed with it!
I then pinned the metallic lace on to judge how it will look. and again decided it isn’t clean enough. It didn’t leave my hands feeling grubby or itchy this time, it just smells a bit off! Sort of dusty and not quaite naice as Hyacinth Bucket might say.
I’ve been googling for advice on cleaning antique metallic lace…and found nothing much, apart from many warnings of what NOT to use. So I’m going to dive in and mess about with various stuff in the kitchen- vodka, bicarb, possibly a little vinegar. Not all at once you understand, just dibby dabbing with cotton buds. Because it will need to be pleated/gathered/draped into place, I’ll need the parasol at full stretch, so I’ll bee getting it attached to the frame a bit later today.
Meanwhile, I celebrated the end of a very financially dry January with a little spending online. I think my list was pretty comprehensive, so I should soon have everything else I need to complete the SWAP and a few other plans besides. I’ll just flaunt these pretties from Vena Cava at you for now as a teaser…
Go on, LICK THAT SCREEN! Mwahahahahahahaha!