And it’s done! Last night I faffed about joining strips of pinked bias fabric together, then gathering 16 tiny sections and pinning it all to the edge of the lace. My wife was very complimentary, and I was chuffed…but then I started to flap about how to actually sew it down. Those gathers needed to be controlled, stitched carefully to the edge of the lace, but also not to make too much of a mess on the inside of the parasol.
I went to bed, and dreamed about hand-stitched ruffles. What an exciting life I lead.
Today I posted a question on the Historical Sewing FB page, asking for advice. And got it, very very promptly. There were several brilliant ideas, and one that suited the problem PERFECTLY. I pinked some strips of silk organza selvage [god I love my new pinking shears] and basted it onto the back of the ruffled strip. A bit faffy, but once attached, it was SOOOOO easy to attach to the parasol.
Here’s a reminder of how she looked when I bought her
And here she is, in all her glory. The missus will probably do a little tweaking to make the wood prettier, but my work is done!