More procrastination- I actually finished these dresses 5 months ago (!) but only wore them for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I’ll explain why after this ‘making of’ post which I wrote in October!…
Simple makes but I faffed around a lot and they’ve taken far longer to finish than they should have. In my defence I’ve been off work with a horrible cold, and feeling too light headed and wonky to be bothered with any sewing.
They’re done, and they’re wearable, and both patterns will be revisited I think…not much more to say!
I said that they were wearable, but the one with the draped pockets wasn’t actually quite finished as I hadn’t finished the inside of the facing. It just got shoved to the back of a chair and lost under other more interesting projects. The blue black one..well…I liked it when I tried it on, but when I went to actually WEAR it for work, I decided it was too big, loose and unflattering. I dumped it on a different heap to be ‘fixed’ at some point. 2 weeks ago I finished off the one, and decided to wear the other to work to see what other people said. I find this is often an eye opener when you think something is no good…
I made these up from stash farics. B6254, the coat dress, is in a bargain cobalt blue and black geometric print. It’s sort of a ponte I suppose, it has that texture vaguely reminiscent of crimplene, but not so crackly! I thought it would be a bit much over such a voluminous garment, so I dug out some bits of black ponte leftover from something I made for the missus, and decided to go all asymmetrical. One sleeve is black, and I did two different pockets, one set into the side seam, and one black patch pocket. The buttons are quite large and fancy, black made to look like carved jet.
I really thought it looked rather like a maternity dress, but had LOADS of compliments, and even had several students ask if I’d make them one. Wotevva.
Anyway, from unwearable, I now love it. It really doesn’t need to be unbuttoned, so I may sew it together for modesty’s sake [at present I need to wear a cami and slip under it]
The other one, with the draped pockets, was a similarly simple make, and is already being worn in quick rotation. I can zip it up into a rather 60s looking collar, or leave it open with a flash of some contrast vest top underneath. The pockets are nice, but very very low as anything in the drops straight to the bottom. I’ll be making another of these, and will try to work out a fix without losing the drape. It doesn’t look brilliant in these pics, but again is more flattering in real life. This is a lighter weight jersey, with more of a cotton feel. It isn’t as cosy as the other one, I was freezing today and had to add a cardi and scarf!
Both fabrics were snagged from a stall at Birmingham Rag market sometime last year, each dress cost about a fiver, not including the buttons…bargain!
Not my usual thing, but they’ll do for now.