Cheering myself up [family worries] and clearing the heap of cut-out projects that I produced last weekend. The combinations were such fun to make, I grabbed the next item on the heap, so that I didn’t need to re-thread the machine. It’s not as if it takes any time or effort, I just like to feel efficient!
And so to Wearing History’s corset cover/camisole.
I cut this out in some heavily embroidered, white-on-white cotton fabric, which has been lurking in stash for many, many years. I only had a small piece, so had to piece the peplum, and go for the sleeveless version.
I cut out the peplum facing and binding for the armholes and neckline in plain white. The neckline needs more of the beading [slotted lace] which I used on the neckline of the combinations. I made French seams for the sides and shoulders.
The waistline is gathered onto a stay tape, which also finishes the waist seam. There will be ribbon there, just for show. It buttons down the front, but I used press studs and sewed buttons on top. I’m not in love with my machine’s buttonholes, and STILL haven’t got round to sorting out the antique Singer attachment that I bought last year. Sigh.
These garments are supposed to be worn over a chemise and corset, and basically just give another layer to smooth out any boning ridges which might show through your dress. It can of course, also be worn as a pretty little summer top, which will be its purpose if the summer ever returns to these frosty shores.
It is slightly longer in the front, which gives the droopy pigeon-breast line of the late Edwardian era.
I have another cut out in the sheer black silk/cotton, but that one will have short sleeves and black lace trim, and buttons over press studs again..
I’m off to the rag market on Tuesday to hunt out the rest of the trim I need, so these will be finished off then.