Two days of misery later, the ruddy skirts are done. I don’t like making lots of identical items, it’s too much like work, and these were also BORING…so boring that I wandered off and made Anzac biccies just to relieve the boredom. Nom!
Anyway, I cut them out ages ago, just a load of rectangles really, plus a little curved out bit to join the straps. I foolishly decided to make the skirts from full fabric widths, and had a helluva battle trying to gather them, with threads snapping all over the place. I switched to pleats, and battled for ages with the first one to get all the fabric into the waistband. Don’t know why, I just couldn’t get it to work. The other two were, of course an absolute doddle.
I used a bit of ribbon/braid/fancy scrap to decorate each ‘bib’ and had to do a fair bit of hand sewing to catch down waistbands, sew on buttons etc. because the fabric was getting very thick in places.
I machined the hems though, some things just aren’t worth the trouble!
Cotton corduroy from the Fancy Silk Store, zips and shell buttonsfrom stash.
At least I got to use my lovely buttonhole attachment- the highlight of my day!
In more interesting news, I did appease the sewing gods, wiped up the blood, and managed to get on with the tail bodice.
I got all the lining attached including under-stitching by hand, and hand sewed the sleeves linings into place.
I’ve pressed the centre tail pleat, but still need to faff a bit with the two side ones [double box pleats, smaller at the top than the bottom, and they’re not playing nicely!] Then I get to neaten those raw edges inside, make more buttonholes [yay!] and sew on the ‘cut glass’ buttons….Oh, and trim it of course. I was going to use my ribbon to make trim like this but while googling and browsing this morning, I found this delight, plus instructions, so I think I need to give it a go…
But first of course, I’ll need to try it on to make sure the buttonholes end up in the right place…corset time!