There’s just something about purple velvet…even if it’s moleskin if you know what I mean? The missus is very happy with this shirt, and I think the colour suits her beautifully. It will also segue nicely into the steampunk wardrobe, just add a nice cravat, and it will look brilliant!
As usual, she moaned about modelling it [don’t they always?], wouldn’t change out of her sweatpants, and then insisted I cut her head off in the picture. Sigh.
Anyway, the fit is great, this stretch fabric sewed up beautifully, although of course there is always the misery of flying fluff when dealing with a napped fabric! Despite being pre-washed [for once] the fabric makes my hands itch after a while- I think it’s the fluff. The buttonholes went without a single hitch, and the little buttons are a lovely match. Purple is of course very hard to photograph accurately, but the daylight pics are pretty close. I’d call it a true amethyst.
The pattern is described as a wing-collar shirt, and it does actually look really good with the collar standing up. The missus went all Vampyr though, feeling the Marius vibe [Queen of the Damned]…
I may be asked to add a couple of extra buttonholes higher up the front to facilitate this alternative. We bought up all the remaining buttons on the stall, so there are a few left.
I changed absolutely nothing on this pattern, it’s a straight size 16. I could have shortened the sleeves, but she likes them long. I may well make myself one or two, and I’ll undoubtedly need to use some of the Palmer & Pletsch fitting tips which are included!
I made all Hong-King finish on the inside, which took forever. I used up some leftovers from the aborted Four Square dress [Ruth I must send you your pattern back!]. Another bit of stash happiness, the fabric is an unidentified drapey viscosey stuff snagged from the rag market last year for about £1/metre. It made great bias binding for this anyway.
Right, enough of this dilly-dallying, there’s more still to sew. Laters!