CoBloWriMo (Costume Blog Writing Month)
Day 3, prompt 3: “Write about a new technique that you have learned recently or would like to learn”
I made my first corset, following ‘instructions’ from the corset bible, ‘Corsets and Crinolines.’ It was OK, wearable-ish, but didn’t fit me well. I also couldn’t afford proper gubbins back then, so plastic boning, no busk, cheapo eyelets. A bit rubbish. I made a few more when I was doing costumes for the amateur opera company. They were REALLY popular amongst the chorus once they realised the joys of a corset [shaking boob overspill at the orchestra pit for instance], but still all cheapo, and not very great.
This was all self-taught, pre internet tutorials, and I had to bone up on it from a book. [Geddit? See what i did there?]
After I started teaching full time and stopped making opera costumes, I hung up my corsetiere’s hat [what would it look like? A giant breast?] and time ticked on.
And last year I discovered steampunking, and needed a corset.
Laughing Moon Silverado…not great, but with all the right innards, and some tricks picked up from the excellent advice online. [Those hips are padded with little pink cushions!]
It gives me quite a nice shape, but I think I could do better. I plan to have another go at this one, but with a couple of tweaks, and a bit more effort put into making the bust gores fit well. I also want the back to be higher, and to give myself a teensy bit more curve over the ribs, as I sometimes feel mildly bruised after wearing for several hours. I also want to try fan lacing, so that the missus doesn’t always have to truss me up!
I might even have ago at flossing [that’s the decorative-and-functional embroidery that stops the bones from twisting]
All this in aqua silk…
I ALSO want to make the Harlots and Angels ‘Asylum’ corset, not so heavily shaped, and intended to be outer wear. I already have the coutil for this…
I think that’s enough to be going on with, and I have no idea if I’ll get either done, let alone both, because I find the process incredibly tedious, with sewing all those neat channels, and making all those eyelets…