Late start at work today, but I managed to squeeze in another fitting of the bodice, so that the missus could help by tracing off the style lines for the skirt yoke onto it. I need to put some elastic into the skirt waistband, as it droops a bit when worn with the corset underneath. All well and good, so I made do with a quick pin for now, while we sorted out the bodice hemline.
Then, once I’d removed it all again, I realised that the skirt was slightly twisted. Sigh. Now I have to [a] grab the missus when she isn’t otherwise engaged [not easy] and get her to do it again or [b] wing it.
Knowing me, it will of course be option b. Pray for me.
‘All’ I have to do on the bodice now is
- Attach bodice and lining together, shaping the hemline at the same time
- Insert boning along the vertical seams and darts so that it doesn’t ruck up in wear [that’s ten bones by the way, all will need to have a casing, and the casings are hand stitched to the seam allowances. The bones also need to be cut and capped]
- Bind the armholes once everything is in place
- Sort out a fastening- probably hooks and eyes I think, more hand sewing.
Another little job I cracked on with last night was decorating the head dress for my ‘Gordon’s Alive!’ outfit on Saturday. I dug out my broken jewellery stash, and all the bits and bobs that were left over from making table centres for my daughter’s wedding 4 years ago. I located my barely-used mini glue gun, and started playing.
Then I got the glue going again, and stuck beads and watch parts on. Messy gluing, but hey ho, it’s just for dress-up…
I think I may stick some more on tonight!
In other news, I’ve worked out how to fasten the feathered pauldrons [shoulder armour] for Dawn’s Flash Gordon get up. It was much easier than I thought, as the ribbon tie on the ‘wings’ slips perfectly under the crossed bands on the tunic, and are completely hidden. A bit of broken chain on the back, and we’re good to go.
I may even have time to make a couple of small bags/accessories at this rate.
I got step 1 done, and I’m struggling cutting the steels boning for stage 2. I’m now too tired to persevere, as I could take a finger off with these things! Most annoying. Ah well, tomorrow is another day…Skirt’s done, pauldrons are done, and I hemmed some trousers and cut out a couple of little bags. Not TOO dusty…