My holidays have started, and there was a glimmer of light at the very end of term, hinting that things MIGHT improve slightly next year. Time will tell.
Meanwhile, I’ve got some sew-jo bubbling and fizzing. I’ll be doing some end-of-year summary posts over the next couple of weeks, but there’s plenty of time for some serious sewing. I’ve finished off my Edwardian corset, and even made the bust and hip pads it requires [pics soon, I promise, when I can be bothered to wash my hair and don all the gear].
First, my favourite thing…cutting out! I don’t do all that time-consuming pattern tracing and such, but just plough on, and I love the crunching of my lovely shears on crisp new fabric. I did some yesterday afternoon, which mostly consisted of opening lovely new patterns, selecting sizes, and cuting out the tissue pieces. I’ve also spent most of todat at it. Here’s the results
 The Asylum Corset from Harlots and Angels, in a fancy coutil from Vena Cava. [centre image here]
 V9145 Clare Schaeffer dress, in flocked black plaid and plain black ponte, both from Barry’s.
 Already cut out, but still to finish, the shirt dress for my mum in clock-print cotton, also from Barry’s.[I haven’t forgotten the top for the ma-in-law, that fabric got washed today. I haven’t stuck the PDF together yet though]
[4 & 5] Truly Victorian Eton Jacket and 10-gore skirt [TV #498 and #E23]in embossed African wax print cotton from Birmingham Rag Market. [The red/black one] I need underlining and lining fro this, and some serious interfacing to support those huge sleeves, that’s a job for tomorrow]
[6 & 7] Two shirts for the missus, from Folkwear #212, Western Shirts. This was going to be three…but she changed her mid, and ordered one of the fabrics back into stash. She knows not what she does… One with the laced neckline in khaki polished cotton, one with the bib front in ivory heavyweight sateen.
 Vogue 1415 Tom & Linda Platt top in a stunning stretch woven textured velvet. It’s supposed to be green, but is more of a deep petrol blue/teal. The pattern looks as if it’s scratched into the velvet. It’s very beautiful and unusual, and was from good old Italian Textile Company on eBay. Only 3 pattern pieces, but I think this will be a lovely alternative to wolly jumpers! The fabric is ultra soft and drapey. This is it in the ebay listing and this is reality Very lovely, very different! Well, we know how difficult it is to photograph blues and greens…
[9 & 10]Two tops, in a mish mash of toning remnants and the 1m length of rather lovely textured cloqué that was a last minute impulse buy on the last visit to Barry’s. That’s V9207 by Marcy Tilton, I haven’t dug deep enough into stash for the right contrast woven back panel yet. I’ve also gone for the Butterick 6287, same colourway.
So now I ‘just ‘ need to
- find the remnant of black sateen for the facings on the Edwradian skirt and Eton jacket
- find a nice woven remnant to go on the Tilton top
- cut some contrast bindings for some of the items
- Pick out all the pieces which need interfacing and get fusing
Then I might get sewing.
Oh, I also need to
- get some Xmas presents [ahem]
- order a turkey [ahem]
- get into my Edwardian togs for a mini photo shoot
- Decide if I have any enthusiasm for a SWAP entry this year. I’m still very uninspired!