…in the same fabrics.
On one of this year’s market trawls, I was trying soooo hard not to buy even more fabric, then succumbed at the last minute [OK, OK, I’d already succumbed a dozen times on that trip, shaddap!]
I really was trying not to spend more, but as we were already waiting at the main table in Barry’s for the last couple of happy shoppers in our group to get their yardages cut, out came this gorgeous roll of textured mauve-y jersey. It’s got all sorts of interesting stuff going on, and is exactly my sort of colour, so I restricted myself to just one metre, trying not to feel guilty about it.
When I was getting my cutting-mojo on, I rummaged and founs several small pieces of various purple toned knit fabrics, including some of the heathery ponte that featured in that ‘Jungle January’ wardrobe from [eek] two years ago.
Two patterns were screaming to be tried out, so I went for this Vogue 9207 by Marcy Tilton, and the superficially similar Butterick 6287
The Vogue has a quirky little woven piece tacked into place under the short back hem, I suppose it’s meant to look like a shirt underneath. It’s descrobed as ‘semi-fitted through the bust’, and warns that the wrong side will show at the hem [that’s those odd little side back draped bits]
I played around with my minimal yardage, and odd shaped remnants until I got layouts that semed balanced, and for the underlay, I used a piece of the stunningly beautiful slinky velvet, from my favourite eBay shop, The Italian Textile Company. This is the stuff I’m using for the Tom & Linda Platt top, next up on the pile. Pricey, but utterly, sensually lovely. The original image looked like a bright teal, almost jade, but it’s actually a muted bluey/grey. It’s a very low pile velvet, slinky, and apparently that’s because it’s on a crepe-weave backing. Beyond lovely.
The top went together with no fuss at all, although the ponte decided it didn’t like being stitched on the sewing machine, and I ended up doing the hems by hand. They may get topstitched when the machine decides to play nicely.
The neckline finish is not making me happy- I obediently followed Marcy’s instructions, not the usual way I do a neckband, and I don’t like it. Ah well, no one else will notice!
I just was not sure though. It doesn’t feel semi-fitted, it feels voluminous and un-flattering, so I removed the velvet underlay [sounds like something Andy Warhol would like] cut it narrower, and re-attached. I think this has pulled the side seams into a position I like better. It’s still rather smock-like though.
Then I went on to the Butterick one, which was fun! In construction, it reminds me of one of my T&Ts, the StyleArc Tootsie. All the little jigsaw pieces fit together immaculately. I overlocked the seams, then pressed and top stitched, and pressed again. The hem was a pain, the instructions did not remind me to stop short on my stitching so that corners could be turned, so I just ploughed on. Tiny bit of faffing were required.
The neckline is supposed to be just turned under and stitched. Yeah right, that’s not going to happen…so I bound it. It didn’t lie nicely, I faffed some more…then I thought, meh, good enough. Next one will be better!
This one, I love. I now need to dig out some additional harmonious combinations of fabric remnants, and make more. Several more.