On another of this year’s market visits, we found some lovely penguin print fabric. We cooed over it, but moved on. Later, one of the party [was it you Kim?] went back to get some after all, and I thought I might as well give into the urge too [I’m so strong willed] and bought a couple of yards [or was it 1.5?] Turns out it’s Rose & Hubble cotton, very nice quality, bargain!
I showed it to the missus when I got home, she loved it, so I folded it up and put it into one of the crates reserved for her goodies. And forgot it. Last week, while looking for something else, I re-discovered it, and decided to make a very last minute Xmas present shirt for the missus as a surprise.
This was on the Friday I think. Sigh. I had to put a screen across one end of the sewing room so that she wouldn’t stroll in and see it, and squawked in alarm every time she came near the fridge. Which is frequently…
The pattern is pretty busy, so I didn’t want to use her favourite princess-seam pattern, I went for the slightly boxier McCall’s 6436 which just has darts. Yardage was a problem! I JUST managed to squeeze it out as long as I made contrast cuffs, band and collar facings. Keeping with the penguin-theme, I looked for some black remnants in stash, [luckily I sort by colour] and unearthed rather a lot of a mystery peachskin stuff which I used to make capes for the bridesmaids at my daughter’s wedding. No pictures of them, as they never got worn, despite freezing, damp October weather. No comment.
The buttons are some lovely antique glass ones I bought on eBay, as they look like ice. In my head. Whatever. Having seen it on her, I need to add a couple more buttonholes, I didn’t start quite high enough, no biggy though.
All went together like a dream, apart from the last 2 buttonholes which decided not to play nicely and cause much cursing. I finished hand sewing the hem at around 9pm on Xmas eve, and bunged it into a gift bag and under the tree.
She loves it, it fits, and I’m chuffed.