Folkwear ‘Frontier shirts’, #212
I’ve made this up three times before, mostly using stretch poplin of different types, including my rose/zombie attack one, and one piped in navy which has now been passed to Dawn as I expanded again.
Both of those were from the option with a shaped yoke, and front fastening. This was not the plan this time.
Dawn fancied the pull-on styles, with either laced front or a bib-fastening. When I got all the pieces out, it transpired that these styles were only sized for men. how dare you Folkwear! So I did some thinking, and switched pieces about to check it would all still go together if I used the pieces for the ‘normal’ shirt, and just folded out the CF to make a pull on style. I also retained the proper shirt sleeves with placket openings from the ladies’ shirts, as they are particularly nicely drafted, and I didn’t like the clunky cuffs on the other style.
So what’s left? The only pieces I’ve used from the pull-on style are the slightly larger one piece collar, the back yoke, and the front opening/bib pieces. I’ve cut the lace-up opening one in khaki cotton sateen, which is rather thin and not as shiny as most sateens [in fact, I’d call it poplin not sateen, but hey-ho], and the bib-front one in ivory sateen.
As I started to pin it together, I realised that I don’t want messy yoke seams showing on the inside, so I doubled up the yoke pieces, and did the ‘burrito method’ for the first time. Nice!
All the rest was assembled with french seams. I did notice this time that the seam allowances are only 1/2″, and I’ve tried to remember if I noticed the first times I used this- probably not, which may explain why mine was a tad snug?
Ah well, on with the show.
It all went together beautifully, my topstitching is acceptable [although I always have trouble with corners on collar and cuffs] and the missus loves it. Rather snug across her bum though, and although she didn’t care and said she’ll just tuck it in, I wasn’t satisfied, and unpicked a little at eaxh side seam to release the tension and make little slits. Much better!
Then I got to the final steps and found that I couldn’t get the ruddy eyelets in. I practised on some scrap, and found that none of the eyelet gizmos would work. I hammered, poked, tried this and that, no go. Frustrating, as I had no trouble when I made that corset! I walked away for a while, and got on with my Edwardian skirt.
4 thoughts on “Yes ma’am! Frontier shirts for Dawn #1”
Now I want one in my closet! Would you consider machine or handmade eyelets instead of grommets? It’s a different look but one that goes well with the style. What trouble are you having exactly with the grommets (asking for other people as you already have 10x the experience I do so I’m of no use!). Hope you get something working, it’s too nice a shirt to be a UFO!
lol it’s always fun to enable someone else to buy another pattern! I’ve considered handmade, I did loads on Dawn’s wedding dress, and quite enjoyed it. I have these really nice, ‘old-looking’ metal ones though, very small. I did a bit of ebaying, and found a gizmo that should work [assuming I’ve ordered the right size]/ It was under a fiver too, so fingers crossed that it won’t be unfinished for long!
Looks good! I absolutely love the “burrito” method. Nothing else looks right anymore!
LikeLiked by 1 person
I knew how to do it but as I don’t mind hand sewing, I didn’t bother. I do like it though
LikeLiked by 1 person
Comments are closed.