I’d hoped to finish this today. Sigh.
As I’m waiting for Reconstructing History to get back to me tomorrow, I thought I’d do some VERY careful measuring, firstly the pattern pieces, then the actual skirt, as I’ve taken it in so much.
Reminder: I cut their size ‘I’ with the intention of leaving it at the stated 38″ waist, or taking it in to my corseted 35″, depending on how it looked. This is how the back looked when I pinned on the peplum sections
I marked the seam allowances, as on curves, measurements can be so distorted. This is what I got.
Excluding darts, and seam allowances, the skirt waist is 42 1/2 inches.
The upper peplum attachment line is 17 3/4″, the lower is 26″
The actual upper peplum seamline is 12 3/4″ the lower is 17 5/8″. That makes the upper one 5″ too short, and the lower one 8 3/8″ too short. Jesus wept!
After I took the skirt in, and adjusted the darts, my new upper seamline is 16 1/2″ and the lower is 19 3/4″
This reduced the error to ‘only’ 1 1/2″ on the upper, and 1 7/8″ on the lower. Remember there are two of each though, and they need to meet in the middle.
I hate piecing, I hate pattern matching, too fiddly, but I got out all my offcuts, and played about. This is a large pattern repeat, so it took some hunting, but I managed it. I WAS going to make the alterations at the back, but ended up opting for the shorter ends of the peplum pieces, that tuck into the long front darts.
This may sound odd, putting the repair into the spotlight, but anyone staring at my crotch will be noticed, rather than surreptitious bum staring and making covert criticism…method in my madness. There is also the option for adding some feature buttons to further disguise things.
Of course, I also had to piece the linings, as I didn’t want to unpick the ruddy lot and waste that fabric too.
This is how things stand now
Spot the joins.
I’m happier now, and the remaining assembly should go without a hitch…she said.
I will be demanding my money back though, two strikes is unacceptable.