WARNING- terrible pirate puns ahead!
I bought this pattern on impulse [Simplicity 8285]. Lots of steampunks ‘do’ pirate looks, usually with the [fairly thin] reasoning that if we’re all travelling about by airship, there must be airship pirates too. [Why do you think we need all those goggles? Hmmm? Steam trains and airships of course]
I’d bought the fabric on impulse too, while roaming the rag market some months ago. It JUMPED OUT and forced me to buy it. It’s definitely only ‘costume quality’, a rather plasticky taffeta, with flocked pattern, cheap and cheerful. The taffeta turned out to be so plasticky, it wrecked my new microtex needle in just one project… I had to hastily change it when I switched to stitching some fine silk straight afterwards and got lots of snags.
Now this pattern is meant to be a ‘Lolita’ dressing-up outfit, the jacket is not lined or finished inside, there is no collar or cuffs, and the raw edges are meant to be bound.
Unfinished princess seams? Are you kidding? And on a coat with no fastening? I dug out the gold taffeta panels which used to be on the internal glass doors at our last rental. Recycle! It toned beautifully. I also foraged in stash for the gold ribbon to make the faux buttonhole trim.
Now the skirts- Determined that it would come from stash, and determined to give a steampunk air to the outfit and take it up a notch or two, I attacked the stash ‘reserved’ for Dawn’s wardrobe. She has no idea what’s there lol. Out came this purply brown, gold striped delight. It is a twill weave, denim weight with self stripes in a brushed texture. Quite lovely. The stripes turned out to run ACROSS the width though, not great for trousers. YOINK. mine now.
The ‘underskirt’ is 8-panelled, the ‘overskirt’ is pretty much circular. BOTH are meant to have elasticated waists. that’s a lot of bulk for this stout old pirate mateys! I shaped the overskirt into a curve, made a bound casing waist finish, and inserted a length of ribbon. Such a curved narrow hem needs care, so I hand basted before machining it.
The heavier underskirt got felled seams and a random green bias faced hem. Pretty!
It went together very easily, no issues or problems. I cocked up a bit and started bagging out the lining before attaching the ‘buttonholes’ but caught myself before I got too farrrrrrrrr. The lining then got bagged out, and I hand undertitched it all, because, curves and corners matey.
The sleeves are huge, nicely shaped, and those slits may get pinned back sometimes, possibly with priddy buttons. Not sure yet.
I haven’t got the waistband onto the underskirt yet [still considering bulk-removal options] but here it all is, stacked as it will be worn. I have another project to get on with today!
I like it!
And to finish, a couple of mathematical pirate jokes, for me.