More than one ensemble as it happens: a couple of my outfits from the Lincoln Asylum 2017.
I was working on these almost up to the wire- the pirate outfit just needed a fastening on the brown skirt, and I left it very late. Then realised I hadn’t bothered with a hat, so rummaged out a suitable scarf to tie round my head [doing double duty, hopefully, to anchor my hair piece]
Then I lost it, and cursed for several hours, searching, and searching again, the same possible hiding places. It turned up of course on the hanger with everything else. Sigh.
I changed into this in the car park when we arrived, teaming it with the stripey tights, comfy ‘riding’ boots, a clip on ear-ring and another scarf-as-sash to replace the leather belt which snapped obligingly in half as I tightened it. Evil belt, reminding me of my ever increasing girth….
Compulsory accessories for this one- parasol in holster, small bag on the belt, and a fan.
3 wardrobe malfunctions followed close together: #1, hairpiece came unstuck and fell off. If it hadn’t scratched my neck as it descended, I would have left it behind like curly road kill. #2, the pirate knickers I’d slipped on over my tights to prevent Nora Batty-like ankles decided that they weren’t going to oblige, and descended at speed. Only a hasty slap to the thigh and a shuffle and rummage fixed them. We waddled back to the car so I could utilise one of my giant nappy pins to attach all my under layers together!
All fixed, we jumped the vintage shuttle bus to location number 2, and malfunction #3 was a repeat of #1. We plonked ourselves on the grass and did a complete re-do and re-tie which seemed to work at last. Ruddy hair pieces!
Ensemble number 2 is the long-awaited circus witch. I was sewing this late on Friday night, and it fought back hard. The sewing machine didn’t like the very very small amount of metallic stretch fabric I used for the little drapey over skirt thing, and the thread kept snapping. You know how that is when you are trying to finish something…the air was blue.
I gave up in the end, and safety-pinned the tail/swag at the back. The wired cape took time, but was OK, and I codged a sort of harness rig from elastic and an uber-large press stud [popper to you foreign lot!]
I bunged it all in the bag, and declared it done. Bar hair and make up of course. Remember the inspiration pic? I did my cack-handed best with limited skill and lots of black eye shadow. Good enough, according to the missus!
Now the hair: I had hoped to acquire a black hairnet along the way, so that I could ball up one of my cheapo black ‘witch’ wigs into it, and use it for the Elvira-style beehive look I wanted. No luck. I had to turn it inside out instead, and coil lengths of the main wig around it to cover. Meh. It’s only dress-up!
Cheapo wigs are the devil’s invention! Despite many clips and grips, the ruddy thing kept trying to do a sort of elasticated crawl over my scalp, yanking my hairline and exposing it at the forehead. Sigh.
I think this outfit has some mileage, and I may decide to do a ‘proper’ circus outfit for next year, but I had issues with the elastic cape harness, the wig, AND the hook and eye fastening of the bodice, which kept coming undone. I think it needs a zip!
All duly dressed and made-up then, we drove to the carpark, jumped the shuttle bus, and arrived at the castle just before 1030, when the parade/perambulation was to start. And it was all over. Advertised as taking place between 1030 and 1130, with traffic stopped for the occasion…it apparently started at about 10 past, and was over by the time we arrived. Bugger and bum!
Ah well. We socialised for a bit, then, drooping under the increasing heat we withdrew to the cloisters for tea and cake. De rigueur dahlinks. It was even hotter when we came out again, so we gave up and set off for home. More tales and more pics in another post very soon I promise…