…in more than one sense. Hard at work still sewing, even though not much has been finished yet. And meanwhile, at work, it’s hard. Very hard.
Still, my new timetable gives me a long weekend instead of a midweek break, like last year, and I’m adjusting to the change of pace. Plenty of time to sew, even if I haven’t had much energy to get on with it!
I finished one of the dresses I cut out for the summer-that-never-arrived, and have worn it a couple of times already. Separate blog post on that one though.
I’ve been TRYING not to buy more fabric, but slipped a couple of times…shoot me. [Unless you’re some American gun-nut, and actually MIGHT shoot me, that is…] Today a lovely length of red leopard print jersey arrived, for a cheer-me-up dress that won’t take long to knock out.
The pile of stuff I cut out months ago is slowly reducing. [Very slowly, I must be getting old!] I still have a shirt, tunic, T shirt and a couple of corsets to finish though. At least.
The main thing I’ve been doing is sitting doing hours of hand swing, making the cathedral window panels for the dress inspired by Lincoln Cathedral. This morning, I finished the first panel [of five…probably. No more than five anyway]. It looks GOOD!
In front of the finished panel, another 99 black squares cut to size, and about 150 little 2″ squares of the sari silk. Four panels’ worth including the one I’ve finished already. Five would make a full skirt, but I may save time and fabric and make the back ones half length IF I make a draped overskirt…time will tell.
As I mentioned before, after some pondering, I’ve decided to get my 1890s skirt shape [gored/flared, wide A line, with slim hips] by using the five rectangular panels, with godets in between. I’d decided this would work mathematically, but couldn’t be sure about its suitability, historically speaking. Of course, they didn’t really go for cathedral inspired quilted skirts…or not according to the fashion plates, but look what I found today!
Not only the right period, and the right skirt shape…but the right COLOURS! I feel vindicated. I’m not doing the evening bodice of course, I want humungous sleeves and a daytime look, more like this
I think the Truly Victorian patterns I already have will work, grafting one sleeve onto another bodice and so forth.
However, I also want a mad collar like this
So to save work, I just ordered the e-pattern from Truly Victorian for a very similar cape. I should be able to graft the collar onto a bodice with little fuss. She said.
And that’s it for now. Not idle, but not a vast amount of obvious progress. The missus is nagging for some prosaic sewing to be done, vest tops and the like. Meh. I suppose I should knock some out!