Whose idea was it to ‘quilt’ the lining onto the underlining? Hmmm? And whose idea was it to do diagonal lines…along the bias in other words…on already slippery fabric?
You guessed it.
Ah well, I plodded on. And on. I found that I needed to hold the fabric taut at 45 degrees to my sewing [ie on the straight grain] and judge the speed just so. The snaggy fray-y brocade lining was face down of course, as I chalked my guidelines on the poly cotton backing, so I had to be careful no to rush and bugger it up. It actually went quite well- the only snag was when doing the long diagonals on the back piece, but fortunately something alerted me to stop and check the right side partway through, and I had made a pleat/tuck in the very middle. Just as well I checked, I only had to remove two lines of stitching rather than the whole lot!
Careful pressing along the straight grain evened it all back out again. Pressing cloth to the rescue! I then started stitching the lining pieces together, lots of curves, but simple enough. More pressing. To keep it nice and tidy, I decided to take the time to catch stitch all the clipped seam allowances down- another tedious job. I just use up oddments of old bobbin threads, whatever’s to hand. And I thread about 20 needles at a time!
I have also stitched the rather sharp hood curve on the facing, and faffed to get the requisite felled seam done- the more waterproof this is, the better!
The lining is all assembled now, time to start on the main shell. But first, a nice curry from my leftover chicken. Yum!
I don’t think tomorrow will be another snow day, things are thawing…