The buttons arrived, and I rejoiced- they are LOVELY. Then I got an email saying no buckles in stock at Simplicity…now I’d ordered from them because [a] there don’t seem to be many nice 2″ buckles out there [b] there are even fewer silver-tones 2″ buckles [c] there only seems to be ONE that will also go with the buttons. on eBay, they started at over £5 plus p&p, but the same one direct from Simplicity was under £2 including postage. No brainer. So I was bummed to say the least! Back to eBay and ordered the cheapest option, coming to nearly SEVEN SQUID with postage. Rip off or what? Ah well, needs must I suppose.
So I waited again.
While I waited, I had to make a visit to Brum for work, so took advantage of this and popped into the rag market to get some press studs of a suitable size. Of course, I also got some herb and spice top ups from the great stall in the market, and snaffled a couple of goodies just because. The sewing stuff only cost me a tenner!
Inspired by Shams of Communing with Fabric, I wanted to try covering press studs and evading the issue of making buttonholes. So I did. And after faffing about for some time, realised that it just wasn’t going to work using the coat fabric- too thick, too stretchy, the ruddy things kept popping apart or refusing to close at all. So I uncovered them all, swore a bit and then had a lightbulb moment. Turns out that the purple taffeta for the frilly skirt is a pretty close colour match, and of course, quite thin. Re-covered all the snaps, and put to one side.
Then I did some hand stitching to finish the hem and sleeve hems, and attached buttons [sewn through all layers] for the sleeve tabs and back storm flap. Then I tried it on again. And the bloody lining pulled the sleeves up so I looked like a tyrannosaurus.
I released the lining and let the sleeves drop to where they wanted to sit…and the lining is a good 2″ too short. Scraps to the rescue again. Sigh.
Then I sewed all the buttons and press studs on…and returned to waiting for the ruddy buckle. And then it came.
And it’s significantly wider than the belt.
Bugger. I can’t guess which bit they measured to call it a 2″ buckle. Ah well. It matches the buttons well though, and I just wanted the thing to be done. I rummaged for some eyelets of the right size and cracked on. The buckle wanted to slide about though, so I did some crafty codging, which is hidden by the belt itself.
I like the style, but should probably have gone for the bigger size, pattern measurements notwithstanding- it pulls a tiny bit on the back. The covered press studs aren’t working brilliantly, so may have been a waste of effort- they pull open way too easily. I also need to move them a tiny bit to allow for less pulling. Definitely wearable though, and I’m keen to see just how waterproof it turns out to be!
There will be photos when daylight allows.