SWAP 2018 #4: Butterick 6287 pieced tunic. Using print and red fabrics salvaged from much-loved dresses, and scraps of black viscose jersey.
Fabric-wise, this is a complete nightmare. The print is an unidentified poly from the market, quite slinky and silky but with medium heft. The red embossed [sweater knit?] was another market find from YEARS ago, probably acrylic. It’s quite beefy, but the dress I cut it from was well-loved, much -worn and -washed, so it’s nice and soft. The black jersey is very lightweight.
As you attach pieces together [I used the overlocker] you also top stitch the seams [messily of course if you’re me] and this seems to let you get away with different fabric weights, reinforcing it slightly. I suppose you COULD reinforce with tape or iron on stuff, But that takes too long!
My only gripe with this pattern [this is #3 of the tops I’ve made from it] is that it doesn’t remind you about those ziggy zaggy hems when you are attaching the main pieces together, and you can end up back tracking to unpick a bit of the seams to allow for a hem. If you’re not me, and making the 3rd version, you would of course remember this in time. Sigh.
The rest of the assembly is easy peasy. You could just hem the neck edge as instructed, but that’s way too inclined to stretch out, so I make a narrow band and wing it.
I did choose to hand hem this one, because of the ziggy zaggies and the different weight fabrics- too much opportunity to bugger it up!
And there it is, basically the signature piece of the collection: ‘More than the sum of its parts’.
We’re struggling with getting any pics done outside right now- daylight, grey weather and rain are rather putting us off venturing outside at all. Well, me anyway, the missus will go out in storms!
Pics needed for this, the raincoat AND the black top…soon I promise!