SWAP 2018, Style Arc Lani tunic, various oddments of jersey plus pin-tucked silvergrey taffeta
This one was a beast to cut out [see my earlier adventures in this post] but very satisfying on the hardly-any-waste front. The pattern itself was sent to me by Style Arc after I commented on the problems I had with the Ziggi jacket, which is great customer service as far as I’m concerned [they let me choose, even better!]
Th epin tucked taffeta was an impulse buy AGES ago from Barry’s, on the sale table, so was at most £2/m. The ‘plainer’ grey taffeta oddment was a teensy bit left from a not so cheap fabric which I made up into really funky trousers for the missus to wear to my daughter’s wedding five years ago. No pics have survived of the trousers on her, which is annoying as they were gorgeous.
They don’t fit any more though, time has taken its toll of our waistlines! She does want me to see if I can salvage them in some way, so I will be investigating in due course. The fabric has an iridescence to it without being fully ‘shot’, and of course plenty of scroop!
The jersey scraps were just marled jersey in two slightly different shades, chosen to dodge the need for an FBA. Lazy Fairy.
Anyway, there are a lot of pieces to this, and they are oddly shaped, so I paid careful attention to the markings. Instructions are brief, but adequate, and the drafting is, as ever, immaculate.
You begin by mitring the corners of the two lower front bits, overlapping them, then assembling the rest, paying careful attention to hem areas so that you can topstitch in one pass and get a nice finish. There’s a dinky little pocket set into one of those seams, which makes me very happy!
I got it all together bar the sleeves and neck finish, and tried it on. Meh. The fabrics are great together and I love the design lines, but it’s voluminous and ballooned A LOT at the back. I went back to the sewing room, and pinned out some shaping at CB and a little at the sides too…this sort of top needs to fit neatly around the bust area then flare to disguise the gut [on me anyway] but it also has to get on over my head. Hmmmm.
After pondering for 24 hours [OK sulking, yeah yeah] I went back in, took a deep breath and pinned out a curved CB seam, starting about 1/4″ from the neckline, and ending at the hem but curving in about an inch at the ‘waist’ [so that’s up to 2″ gone], then did a similar curve on each side seam, pinching away another inch each side. It looked MUCH better.
I lowered the front neckline a tiny bit, and then ditched the facing I’d cut, and did a stretch binding, quick and easy. And that’s that. Very wearable I think- making the front panels in jersey has successfully dodged the FBA bullet [lazy Fairy] and makes it comfortable for all the writing on boards I do all day [I hate things that pull when I’m reaching up].
The pocket is really nice, totally invisible as placed, I just think I could do with one each side, it feels slightly odd only shoving one hand in a pocket!
This would work well made up in sari fabrics, cool and floaty for summer…