So, the new iron [aka Big Pearl] is duly ensconced on her shiny new ironing board cover, tank filled, and ready to go.
THe SWAP has moved along very nicely, and some new fabrics are screaming at me to either cut them out, or pre-wash them [those gorgeous oooollld silks make my hand itch, so need a careful hand wash and dry before being used]. SO what should I do? Miles of narrow hems of course. [About 30 yards anyway]
I re-threaded the machine, changed the needle [ I do this on occasion] and set to work. There are a couple of loooong pieces that are seamed together [No idea why they couldn’t have been cut on one down the length of the fabric, hey ho] I knew that wrong sides would show, but didn’t want French seams as they would give problems for the narrow hemming…so I turned back the raw edges and stitched them down.
Then I took a deep breath, and did all thos metres of narrow hemming, production line style. First I stitched half an inch from the raw edges. Then I did allllll the pressing. Then alllll the trimming, close to the stitching. Thank gawd for the audiobook and my duck-billed scissors. Then, knowing this would be a faff, I basted the whole ruddy lot. THEN I stitched it all, and pressed again.
Much, MUCH later, this is what I have.
Now to assemble it all!