Right. Top part of skirt was completed a few weeks ago. Bottom part consists of lots of panels…and lots of flounces. 9 large doughnut flounces to be exact, plus two short flangey bits [also already assembled] and two long rectangular flouncy bits.
I’d already glanced over the instructions but I don’t really take it all in until I start assembling stuff. Lots of basting, lots of pins.
At this point, I remembered that I’d shortened the skirt itself…but not the flounces. Ah. Well, I pondered for about ten seconds- cut them off and re-do part of the narrow hems…or just MAKE THEM FIT? Guess which?
Yep. Lady Codgington of Codge Hall at your service. Well, with all this stuff going on, who’e ever going to know? Well you of course, but hey-ho. A little gathering thread along the shorter edge, and we’re good to go.
First you put the ‘odd one out’ of the doughnuts into the CF seam. Pin, baste, sandwich, machine. I decided to overlock all the seams- any other finish would introduce more bulk and fuss. And take too long, let’s be honest. Then you add another flounce on either side of this CF panel, and baste. Then you attach ANOTHER flounce to each of the side fronts, pin, baste, and sandwich those together. So there is one vertical flounce at CF, and TWO each side of that. NO wonder it’s impossible to tell from the photo or tech drawing what on earth is going on!
Once that’s all together, you add the funny little flange pieces to overlap the top edge.
And then you try to press it, do the best you can, and put the front to one side.
The back starts off much the same, you baste a flounce to a CB pieces and a side back piece, sandwich them together to get a double flounce, and repeat for the other side.
Then it gets really odd. You take the loooong rectangles, and attach them to the completed side backs: up from the hem, along the top edge, and back down the other side. This does a similar job to the flangey bit across the tops of the front flounces.
THEN you sandwich the backs together at CB, and do the side seams, so there’s a long rectangular flounce/flange right down the side seam. Wow. That’s a lot of flangey flounce lol.
THEN you only have to attach the finished flounce portion to the completed top of the skirt, and THEN hem it. [Yes, MORE narrow hemming]
So of course I managed to bugger that up. The hem was fine, slow, tedious, fine. I attached the top skirt to the bottom, after considering for a bit and trimming an inch off the length of the upper section [ i left the lining longer, to cover all the seams]. Then I overlocked the seam, which was not needed, as it’s lined at the top…and then realised I’d caught up part of the main fabric into the overlocking. I swore, flounced [ahem] and unpicked the 6″ section. “It’s not cut, it’s not cut” quoth I happily…but the last inch was, of course. Sigh. I ironed a bit of interfacing on the back, swore some more, then caught the lining down to the seams, and to the zip tape.
Tried it on again. Too bloody big! Most unusual considering my current girth, but if I breathe in, the whole caboodle falls down. Sod it!
Muttering, swearing, thinks thinks…
What the hell, nothing will be tucked in to this, so I added wide elastic, slipped between lining and outer fabric, and made a channel. On reflection, I also exaggerated the high-low effect by altering that top skirt-to-bottom-skirt seam, making it another inch or so shorter at the front, to make walking easier and safer. I am a klutz. As an added bonus, that ate up most of the place where the overlocker had attacked too, fab! I added a hook and eye to reinforce the zip against the pull of the elastic, and done.
A piece of flouncy cake.
To our mutual amazement, the missus really likes it, and I, of course, love it! Pics tomorrow, daylight allowing.