Vogue 9114, Kathryn Brenne funky trousers, red cotton/linen crinkle fabric
I got the wedding dress onto a hanger to wait for the next fitting, and with a HUGE sigh of relief, dragged out my box of SWAP sewing, containing the red Kathryn Brenne trousers [V9114], the red silk kimono tunic [V8434], Style Arc Daisy black linen trousers, and the black denim trousers from V1415. Those trousers have been BUGGING me!
Reminder- the Daisy wide leg trousers are HUMUNGOUS and the pockets, a very nice style detail, are so big and low you need to kneel down to reach to the bottom of them! The denim ones are almost as vast, and may well need a total recut. I WANT to embrace baggy trousers, they just make me look like a ruddy hobbit in real life. Sigh.
I already have 8 items made up suitable for SWAP, with a couple of choices for pre-made so I’m not unduly pressured by time ticking on- I really do need some trousers though, my current stable are looking a bit meh after several years of wearing and washing.
The red Brenne experimental trousers look fun, and cool and comfy for summer wear, so I started on them. This crinkle linen/cotton blend feels lovely but is very loosely woven and consequently quite stretchy. I’ve started basting in pleats and putting together the funky little drawstring leg inserts- interesting!
Of course, the pocket pieces that I cut out of black taffeta for the first Brenne skirt [and then forgot to insert] were elusive…two were folded with the pattern piece, one turned up in a different pile of sewing,,,and the fourth had vanished. Stash supplied me with a replacement, but it’s mildly irritating- I’d pinned all the other small pieces onto their respective pattern pieces, just not this one. Bum.
Ah well, these went together VERY easily. The funky inserts are perfectly drafted, and the only trouble I had was in turning the ties- the crinkly fabric sticks to itself A LOT and they had to be coaxed and tweaked and sworn at quite a lot. Good job they’re short! Oddly, although the line drawing looks as if these are tied into a small bow, you actually have to knot it, as there is only one string, nothing to tie it to..odd, but it looks cute.
Those little inserts are made from FOUR pattern pieces, plus the tie- no bulky fabrics for this little beauty!
Because of the loose weave, I double stitched the crotch seam, then pressed it to one side and stitched again…hope it works. Everything else, I just zigzagged- I didn’t want to stress the loose weave in the overlocker- I’ve found that droopy fabrics often pull apart at the seams if overlocked.
It’s a nice soft elastic waistband, just the same as on the tie-side skirts, very comfy to wear, and tidy to attach. The pockets are nice and roomy too-yay for pockets!
WAY baggier than I would normally go for, rather saggy in the crotch, and not at all flattering…but cool, comfy, and fun. Great for the summer, if it ever comes! Oh yes, and they work with at least two of the SWAP tops [most of the rest are in the wash lol]