I squeezed this out of a piece of [fairly pricey] textured linen. I cut the size 18, and used silk organza for the interfacing. I don’t like the look of the giant button on the front, so I used 2 vintagey glass-looking ones instead. [They may even be vintage glass, I don’t recall] No buttonholes, they’re just for trim.
I cut this out a couple of days ago, and sewed the whole thing in about an hour and a half- it would have been quicker but the linen crumpled every few minutes and took a LOT of extra pressing and steam!
The instructions are very detailed [quite unnecessarily so] but would be great for a total beginner. It’s very nicely drafted, and fits together with no fuss at all. I’m considering making a trial version of the dress, but I’m probably more likely to make a few more as blouses- I need some T shirts that aren’t T shirts, and this is fun with the curved or pointed front options.
I wore this to a job interview today, tucked into the plaid OkiStyle skirt [I don’t normally do tucked in, but it worked with the jacket]. It ended up VERY crumpled, as you can see, because I got damp half a dozen times as we switched buildings in pouring rain. Ah well. I’ve now put a couple of stitches at the bottom of that crossover to stop it flopping open. I was perfectly decent as I had a camisole on underneath, but the linen is so drapey it just kept shifting a bit. Fixed now!
It looks nice untucked and casual [and re-pressed] as well, result!
No bust shaping, the front is cut slightly wider than the back, and I just about get away with it. Firmer fabric would not work, be warned!
Verdict- nice and easy does it!