…well sort of.
I keep telling myself my list is down to one page, crossing several things off, then thinking of more ‘small’ jobs to do to improve things. Sigh.
I was doing very well last week, using up all my gain time at work making or sorting or laundering things. The rail is filling up nicely, the accoutrements like masks and wigs are piling up most satisfyingly.
Then on Friday, before school even started, I intervened in a fight between two girls and ended up sprawled full length on the floor [still holding onto the arm of one combatant. I wasn’t pushed, I just lost my balance or slipped. Anyway I got the wind knocked out of me, and lay there waiting for the laughter…which didn’t come. I just got shocked faces and expressions of concern, which was a surprise.
Anyway, I took a while being patched up as I’d ripped my tights and accumulated several grazes to foot and ankle, but felt very stiff and sore, and ended up coming home early. aches and pains, painkillers and hot water bottles etc, but I lost all sewing time on Friday and Saturday to it, so I thought I’d better get something done today to try to keep to my very rough schedule.
So I did these little tasks
- A tail for the flying monkey
- Grey leggings for a mouse made from a t shirt dress
- silver leggings for the tin woodsmen to preserve decency under the bouncy hoop skirts
- a silly hat for the Wizard’s guard, who says her costume looks like a genie outfit
- Some alteration work to the tiny tailcoat to let it out at CB and side seams, insert some rough gussets, and start trimming it with scraps of green stuff. I had to totally gut this old but well-made coat, removing tons of horsehair and padding to allow it to go on the much larger actor! Much more trimming planned, as well as a satin waistcoat and cummerbund and ribbon-trimmed trousers. He should look very grand!
So what’s still to do?
- finish the doorman’s outfit: more trim, trim some trousers, make a waistcoat
- a simple gold cloak for the wizard
- 2 hats/fascinators for Emerald City girls
- mad trousers for Professor Ozmund
- Add patches and straw to old clothes for scarecrows
- Finish sorting out ‘normal’ clothes for the Kansas characters, including Miss Gulch [part done]
- Make some sort of tunic/combat vest for the witch’s guard- I’ve kitted them out in camo gear from stock and fancy making a sort of bib to go over with ‘WKD Security’ on it
I think that’s it. The lion costume could do with a bit of elastic at the neck and under the feet, and I MAY make some half mitts to resemble paws. I MIGHT [time allowing] knock up some silly hats for the munchkins, but by and large, the end is in sight. As soon as I get some decent pics I’ll share the posts that are already part written on the other ‘main’ characters. A week til dress rehearsals start, should be plenty! Wish me luck, I’m going back in!