Laughing Moon #137 Pelisse for Anne Lister outfit, World Book Day 2020 [next THURSDAY!]
HOURS of cutting out, HOURS of rummaging for appropriate linings, then pressing and cutting them out, and now an hour of prepping, pinning linings to main fabric to be hand basted, cutting bias for piping, pinning pieces ready for the machine.
I’ve ended up with a black satin lining for the bodice, and a slinky, slightly stretchy two tone gold cotton blend which I bought to make the blouse for my steampunk outfit inspired by Lincoln Cathedral.
[If you remember, I got all the materials, spent forever making the cathedral window squares by hand, then ran out of time and in any case found the stretchiness of the gold fabric made it impossible to use for the full-sleeved Edwardian look I wanted. ] The stuff is not really my colour, and the missus showed no interest, so it’s been languishing…exactly enough yardage to eke out linings for the pelisse skirt pieces, yay! The pattern does not actually call for these to be lined [or the long sleeves oddly enough, although the small OUTER sleeves are lined, very odd] But hey, in for a penny…
I’m not piping EVERYTHING despite the fact it would look really HA as some of the suggested bits would make for mahoosive bulk. There’s already potential for disaster in the armscye- bodice and tiny sleeve are underlined and joined, then long sleeve is made and joined at the same seam…LOTS of layers of fabric there, so I’m not looking forward to that bit. Making the sleeves heavier by piping the bows on the outer sleeve seems silly!
I will be piping the back panels, the belt, and possibly the ‘cuff’ bands just for detail and definition.
Here it all is ready to start
And just as a teaser, the rose-sleeved SWAP shirt which has been put aside for this week…