Gah! This thing has killed my sewjo. I decided to force myself back to it today after a totally sewing-wasted Saturday, and made a nice neat hem, and gathered the voluminous bodice onto a waist tape, all nice and straightforward. I got the sleeves seamed up [the right way round!] with tidy French seams. I … Continue reading Shirt, wasted: Edwardian Shirtwaist #5
Get it? Go on, you know you do Anyway, after all that hoo-ha this morning, it turned out that the only problem was that the sleeve piece had been turned 90degrees. unfortunately, that means that my plans for stripes in all directions are blown to smithereens. Accordingly, I recut the cuffs to be plain black, … Continue reading Gigot Life: Edwardian Shirtwaist #4
…not lamb, definitely not lamb. Not leg of mutton either though. The re-cut fronts are not stitched on yet, but pinned in place after much faffing with the gathers, and looking good I think. I decided to pin up as much as possible, and started faffing with the sleeves. these are lovely big leg of … Continue reading Edwardian Shirtwaist #3: Leg of mutton dressed as…
…because I’ve messed up with the stripey shirt. After sleeping most of the day away, I got ready to go boss-eyed with all those fizzy stripes, only to find that my planned chevrons down centre front and back are…not. I didn’t cut the ruddy pieces the right way did I? Why didn’t you tell me? … Continue reading I’ve given myself 100 lines…[Edwardian Shirtwaist #2]
Bit of a teaser, this post. I haven’t got much done bar cutting out, interfacing, and attaching one gathered piece to another, but thought I’d give you a little teaser. Reconstructing History #950, Edwardian shirtwaist [a blouse by any other name] in [a] scissor print cotton in two colourways, shown above, and [b] black and … Continue reading Stripe for the picking: Edwardian shirtwaist #1
Harlots and Angels ‘Asylum’ corset, in a rather stoosh, pricey patterned coutil from Vena Cava. I cut this out before Xmas, and it sank to the bottom of the sewing pile. Until today. I whizzed the busk in [getting quite good at that] and zoomed all the seams together, carefully measuring the unusually generous 3/4″ … Continue reading The lunatics have taken over my Asylum!
I’m already bored with Sewing With A Plan…temporarily, I hope. So I diverted myself by sorting some of my lovely stash fabrics and patterns ready for the next monster cutting out session. I’ve even pre-washed some of the fabric! [That’s REAL procrastination for me] Here are the plans so far, split into ‘muggle’ clothes, and … Continue reading Plans and Market days