And here she is- a rainy garden, coffee-mug-clutching photo shoot. Simplicity 1732, Arkivestry coat. 100% lambswool in charcoal grey, trimmed with black peachskin, lined in posh paisley stuff. All sorts of tricksy little couture touches, and she’s a happy bunny indeed. Job’s a good ‘un. Continue reading Dawn’s Coat #12: Twirling in the garden!
My lovely wife tried the coat on again, and decided she doesn’t want to lose any of the length at all, so a ‘normal’ hem was not in the running. However, I noticed that somewhere along the line [maybe when I added the extra interfacing?] the back had become stretched/distorted and wasn’t lying smoothly along … Continue reading Dawn’s Coat #11: Hem-hem
Long seams all done, and a quick try on for the missus [very happy indeed, much strutting and swishing], so on to the sleeves. Unusual drafting and assembly here- remember that odd cuff design? It’s a tapered pattern piece, so that the short cuff edge meets the long cuff edge. Not acceptable I’m afraid Simplicity! … Continue reading Dawn’s coat #8: Sleevils
The long seams are all sewn and pressed [that was very hot sweaty work], and slow but sure, they’re also being caught down to the underlining. This really does make a difference to the finish on special projects, and is not too boring as long as I have an audiobook to listen to. While I … Continue reading Dawn’s Coat #7: The seamy side
Not a huge amount of energy tonight [I swear those GCSE students are psychic vampires] but I managed to neaten the insides of the buttonholes, and make the pockets on the coat. Nicely drafted these, with cute little curves at the top so they don’t get caught into the side seams and made smaller. My … Continue reading Dawn’s coat #6: Pocketer-pocketer
That didn’t take all that long, but it did take some concentration! Just before I started, I decided to interface the coat front, and then had some issues with it bubbling a bit. Gah! Fortunately, it’s a good quality woven fusible, and is fairly amenable to being pulled off and re positioned. It’s far from … Continue reading Dawn’s Coat #5: buttonholes!
I didn’t get much done yesterday, but I’m happy with what I did. I joined the front facings to the upper collar piece, and CAREFULLY pressed that so-easily-scorchable lining. Thank you pressing cloth! Then I carefully marked the seam line on the facing edge, and basted a folded piece of burgundy shot taffeta bias binding … Continue reading Dawn’s Coat #4- pipe smokin’