But I love ’em!
Truly Victorian Edwardian Combinations, made from a couple of remnants of lawn/batiste/something or other. I had to be quite creative to eke these out, and there’s a bit of piecing on the front straps, disguised with some lace, and more piecing on the backs of the legs, where I also changed fabric. I disguised that join with lace too.
The pattern is straightforward to make, and uses TV’s idiosyncratic sizing process. I shortened the legs by a couple of inches. The instructions are fair, [although riddled with bad spelling and punctuation, not proof read at all methinks], with just a couple of places where I would have done things differently for a neater finish. I think she’s aimed at keeping it simple, but I would have liked the facings to enclose the seams at the edges, rather than applied first and then seamed together.
The front bodice, and front and back legs pieces are all in one, the upper back is separate, and the back of the legs are pleated onto it. The sleeve cap is unusual in that the fold is placed at the armpit, and the sleeve piece overlaps at the shoulder, but is tapered off. I like it. [Best shown in the picture above]
I went for French seams where possible, zigzagged some narrow cotton lace over the facing stitching on the right side, and added 8 small buttons down the front. They need to be small, because you wear these under the corset, and I don’t want the buttons digging into my flab.
And that’s it really, they’re more close fitting than my other combinations, [Laughing Moon] and thinner cotton, so if I take pics of me in them, I’ll need to put something on underneath to protect your eyesight!