…’Daisy’ designer tunic from Style Arc. This took about 4 1/2 hours to sew up, but then I did a fair bit of hand basting, understitching etc. It could be done in less [and will be, as I will be making more.] The fabric is a ‘soft willow green’ cotton/cupro blend, in ‘monk’s weave’, from … Continue reading Oops! A Daisy…
Butterick 6287 again. No major changes, still size large, but with shortened sleeves, and a narrow aded neckband. Two of the fabrics here are quite flimsy, and a turned neckline would be out of shape in a split second. The green stripe and green leaf print are quite thin and drapey knits, maybe cotton, maybe … Continue reading More spring greens!
Pic free post…with rant. So, I chopped the Miyakes AND the Laroches using the Style Arc ‘Misty’. This made Donald-Trump-hand- sized pockets, so I then had to remake the pockets, and reposition them. AND salvage the binding, as I don’t have much, AND re-stitch it. And I unpicked the tatty experimental fly fronts and re … Continue reading Toile and trouble, Dawn’s Trousers #3
After the striped shirtwaist debacle, I wanted a quick fix. I had already earmarked this lovely stretch cotton brocade, overprinted with huge splashy green roses, [The Textile Centre] for another V1312, and just rummaged in the black-and-white crate for some knit remnant to make the top. Voila! Conveniently, this ticks the boxes for a couple … Continue reading Mizono in action: V1312 again
Gah! This thing has killed my sewjo. I decided to force myself back to it today after a totally sewing-wasted Saturday, and made a nice neat hem, and gathered the voluminous bodice onto a waist tape, all nice and straightforward. I got the sleeves seamed up [the right way round!] with tidy French seams. I … Continue reading Shirt, wasted: Edwardian Shirtwaist #5
Get it? Go on, you know you do Anyway, after all that hoo-ha this morning, it turned out that the only problem was that the sleeve piece had been turned 90degrees. unfortunately, that means that my plans for stripes in all directions are blown to smithereens. Accordingly, I recut the cuffs to be plain black, … Continue reading Gigot Life: Edwardian Shirtwaist #4
…not lamb, definitely not lamb. Not leg of mutton either though. The re-cut fronts are not stitched on yet, but pinned in place after much faffing with the gathers, and looking good I think. I decided to pin up as much as possible, and started faffing with the sleeves. these are lovely big leg of … Continue reading Edwardian Shirtwaist #3: Leg of mutton dressed as…