Style Arc Juliet. Described on the site thus: “The tie front effect of this cleverly designed pattern provides an ultra flattering silhouette. The ¾ sleeve adds to this stylish shirt.”
I used a soft, light blue/brown chambray from Barry’s warehouse. I actually bought two lengths of this, on different occasions as it’s so nice [and from the £2/m table, no-brainer!] Possibly these were from different bolts, as I suspect they are slightly different dye lots, but it’s very hard to say with a fabric that is basically ‘shot’.
I fussy cut this to save as much fabric as possible for something else, and the grainline goes in all directions. Mind you, it doesn’t matter because…
The cut of this is VERY interesting. Left front, back, sleeves, collar and stand, all standard, but the interesting bit is that right front piece. Look at this for a pattern shape!
The instructions are as brief as ever, but with their improved diagrams, I sorted it out. I do find Style Arc patterns to be perfectly drafted, but those tiny narrow seam allowances un-nerve me at times. Cock up, lose a bit of fabric to fraying or a wonky cut, and you’ve had it.
Here’s the inside of that clever drape/tie, one clever tiny dart [which I need to hand-overcast or something].
And on the outside:
An afternoon of sewing, seams on the sewing machine, finished on the overlocker, and it was done bar the buttonholes, which I completed next day.
What a clever design! I was wary about having a sash tie round my pot belly, but I think this one is fine. I love the sleeve length, and I made the cuffs turnback, just because. I think this will be a favourite, nice and simple. The slightly stepped hem shape is another cute little design detail that adds a certain something.
Oh look! A toe!
I’m looking a bit rumpled in these pics, just back from an afternoon in an extremely hot and airless classroom…but the shirt survived pretty well, even if I didn’t!
I asked D to get the little stepped hem in shot, this is it. Ahem.
The skirt was a very fast fix this morning- I had made this pretty dress from the scrummy Liberty lawn a few years back, but there’s a 2″ gap when trying to close the zip now…so I hacked off the bodice, added an elastic casing, and it’s back in circulation. A very happy colour match too! [Now to do the same to the other two versions of this dress lurking at the back of the wardrobe!]