Well I had planned to do some sewing this weekend, but between marking (mock) exam papers and folding origami cranes, I got nowhere near the sewing room.
Why the cranes? Remember my daughter is getting married in August, and she had the idea of using the ‘lucky’ 1000 cranes as decoration, so I got roped in! Fortunately, I like origami, and she sent me some quite nice paper to get on with, so I’ve been binging on Netflix or old DVDs, and folding folding folding. I can make 20-30 during a film without much effort, and more if I put on some speed. I made a couple of hundred over the weekend while enjoying season 1 of ‘The Sinner’.
I’ve got a couple of large boxes of the things already, and just over 400 are done. Not bad!
This is the kind of thing we’re aiming for I think
Lovely! Some of the paper is fabulous to use, some is horrible. I was displaying my favourite one to the missus and managed to drop it in her tea.
Fortunately the paper was SO GOOD I was able to unfold it, dry it, refold it, and it’s not suffered unduly.
Darling daughter now wants a batch of plain white ones, and it strangely seems harder to find 15cm white origami paper than any other colour. Go figure. I think I’ve found some on Amazon, as my usual eBay searches have failed me completely.
I really hope I can find some time to sew this week, I’m getting twitchy, and need six more items to complete my SWAP. Fortunately they’re all pretty basic. I think I’ve boiled it down to this:
- geodesic sweater in multi scraps of ponte
- another sweater using the pattern for the navy snuggly one, possibly in a green velvet-like fabric which has no stretch. I think it’s voluminous enough to work OK if I am crafty and go slightly off grain to introduce some give.
- More trousers- maybe another pair of flares, maybe another Linda
- Another Victoria blouse, ivory silk satin
- A cardigan/waistcoat using either the Style Arc Nina, or the Mimi G wardrobe pattern
- The skull shirt, already cut out.
This should fill most of my wardrobe needs for Spring, although I still want some very basic T shirts to go with everything.
Have any of you ever made 1000 cranes?